Saturday, June 5, 2010

Broccoli and Cheese died and went to heaven in a Pie.

When I get sick, I end up craving homemade goodies. I crave them pretty often anyway, but this time around, my cold begged me for split pea soup and savory pies.
After rocking my vegetarian split pea soup recipe, I tried a new sort of pie-
Broccoli Cheese.
With some extras.
DELICIOUS extras. Really, they are more bonuses than anything.

Here it is!

Make the crust yourself. Yep. I talked about how easy pie crust is in an old post, and you can find the recipe there, too. Trust me, you've got this.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

After you've chilled your dough, roll it out and put it in a 9-inch pie pan. Layer as follows:
Swiss cheese
Fresh spinach
Cheddar (I used mild, but sharp would be yummy too, I'm sure)
Sprinkle a thick layer of broccoli
Cheddar
Onion slices

After you've got that layered, mix up 1 c. milk, 1/4 c. flour, 3 eggs, salt/pepper, onion powder and either fresh garlic (I did fresh) or powdered. After the egg is beaten well and the mixture looks somewhat even, pour it over your pie until it looks full- you might have some leftover mix.

Put your pie in the oven for an hour an ten minutes, checking the crust at about 50 minutes. I have a wonky oven and I'm still getting used to using it, but my pie took about an hour-ten to cook.

Let cool for about ten minutes and you are done!
Delicious. My omnivorous partner said it was incredible. I served this with potatoes cut into halves, sliced almost through and covered in butter/garlic/pepper homemade spread, baked. (The weird looking purple things in the pan next to the pie)
Wonderful dish. It would be well suited for Thanksgiving, as well.

1 comment:

  1. orlistat 120 mg is a medicine used in the treatment of obesity. It helps the body in blocking the absorption of fats from the small intestines and stomach. it is used to aid in weight loss or to help reduce the risk of regaining weight already lost. it must be used together with a reduced-calorie diet.

    ReplyDelete

get a free hit counter
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .