Saturday, March 27, 2010

Caramel!

Caramelized onions are a wonder. They make grilled cheese sandwiches better, pot pies more tasty, and add a brilliant flavor to JUST ABOUT anything. Caramel is very much the same. It makes things sweeter while adding that wonderful taste, adds a nice gooey, smooth texture and provides a lovely color. Oh, caramel, in all your forms- I LOVE YOU.

I just tried my hand at making caramel for the first time. I was nervous, especially since the recipe warned to wear long sleeves, glasses and have a bucket of ice water ready for my scorched hands, as if it was inevitable that every cook trying to make caramel for the first time would definitely, absolutely, positively fuck it up.
GUESS WHAT, INTERNET? I didn't fuck it up. At all! *glee*

The recipe goes (this is a recipe for caramel syrup, and the only credit on the page is to "Peabody"):
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. water

Melt the sugar in a heavy skillet.
Umm... On what temperature? How long does it take? Well, I suppose I'll wing it.

Add boiling water to sugar once it is a deep golden color. (Stir in slowly, do not burn yourself.)
Thanks for believing in me, recipe.

That's it! So I followed the directions, and fifteen minutes later, VOILA! Caramel syrup.
I think the key to the right temp. is keeping the sugar HOT, HOT, HOT. And seriously, stir that shit contstantly! If you don't it can turn into a giant, massive ball of burnt sugar. Not the goal here.
When adding in the water, STIR!! Add very small amounts at a time or just pour really gently. It took about a minute or so to stir in the entire 1/2 cup of water. Take your time.

Well, I'm going to go back to making my cake now, but I was just so excited I had to come tell you guys about it. Once my cake is done, I'll try to get some photos so you can see it in all of its intended glory.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

get a free hit counter
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .